CRISPY BLACK RICE PANCAKE (SAVOURY)
Known as forbidden black rice, and reserved for only the uppermost echelons of society, this miracle rice has numerous nutrients and health benefits. Thankfully, these days it’s not forbidden, and we can all indulge in its power-packed goodness. This savoury pancake recipe is super easy and very nutritious. If you’re looking for a healthy, easy, vegetarian recipe for your loved ones, this one’s worth a shot!
- 1 cup Gokai organic black rice
- 1/3 cup urad dal
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp cooked Gokai organic krishna kamod rice
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil (or other cooking oil)
- In a large strainer, mix Gokai organic black rice, urad dal, and fenugreek seeds, and wash thoroughly.
- Then, remove into a large bowl and soak in water for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, strain and remove the ingredients into a blender. Add a tsp of salt, and 2 tbsp cooked Gokai organic krishna kamod rice, and a glass of water. Blend together well and remove into a large bowl.
- Cover with a loose lid and rest overnight, or for 10 hours. Avoid tight-fitting lids, because we do need small amounts of air to be able to reach the batter for fermentation.
- Next day, or 10 hours later, uncover the bowl, give the fermented batter a gentle stir, and prepare a cast-iron tawa (open pan) by gently rubbing it with 1 tsp groundnut oil or gingelly oil (you can use a different cooking oil, too).
- Heat the cast-iron tawa (open pan), reduce the heat to medium, and pour approximately one cup of batter on the centre of the hot pan. Using the back of a rounded serving spoon, spread it on the pan. Remember, you need to be quick with this.
- Allow the pancake to cook; while it is cooking, spread 1 tsp of groundnut oil (or other cooking oil) over it.
- Once the pancake is cooked on one side, flip it over gently and let the oiled surface cook for a minute or so.
- Once cooked, lift it off the pan and serve immediately with a nice chutney. We recommend a coriander mint chutney with these pancakes.
Prep: 1 day in advance Makes: about 6 pancakes